Hi lovely people!
I am so excited to share this new bag I made. I am sure you must heard about plastic canvas and they lovely things you can make with it! Well, I decided to have a go at making a bag for this summer. I will show you how easy it is to make this DIY Plastic Canvas Bag in this tutorial.
You know these days that you want to try something new but there is always a little obstacle? Well, I had recently bought this lovely Hooked Ribbon XL Solids (in sweet pink, salad green, early dew and frosted yellow) and I was looking for a project. I always wanted to try making a bag with plastic canvas but when I looked at the price they sell it here, I thought ‘no way, I am buying this’! Luckily, a friend of mine came up with this clever idea; using garden/balcony PVC fencing mesh!!! Brilliant idea!! It was way cheaper and you can select the size and color.
DIY Plastic Canvas Bag Tutorial
- Cut the mesh to the required shape. As you can see in the image below, I’ve cut one piece, including the sides of the bag. Count the squares and make sure it is symmetrical and, if needed, make a diagram on a piece of paper.
2. Use a yarn needle(tapestry needle) and starting from the top, begin taking the ribbon in one hole and out of the other. Cut the ends but leave a bit loose, so you can tie it later.
3. Now, after you finished with your design, tie the loose ends together. Don’t worry….you will cover it with the lining later!
4. It is time to put the bag together. To do that, you need to use the yarn needle again and stitch the ends together. This way, it will be firm and have a nice outline.
5. It is time to make the handles. I wrapped this ribbon yarn around rope, like in this tutorial. Then, I crochet circles and sewed them on the handles. I attached the handles to the bag by sewing them on top.
6. Lastly, I added lining to the bag. I actually used an old pillowcase, so the only thing I had to stitch was the top part 🙂
Materials I used:
- PVC fencing mesh
- Hooked Ribbon XL Solids
- Yarn needle
- Black acrylic yarn
- old pillowcase
- white thread and needle
- crochet hook size 10
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial and maybe you can try something similar!
Have fun in whatever you are doing 🙂
**My DIY Plastic Canvas Bag was featured at: