Hey everyone!!! Hello September 🙂
Holidays are over and what is the first thing in my mind? GOALS!! Yes, goals and more goals! That’s the whole point of taking time off; to set new goals and energize your hustling self 🙂
Do you write down your goals? Do you give yourself a specific time to achieve a goal? If not, then I recommend using a timeline. It is a useful way to map out exactly when you will complete each step in your journey to you dream goals. Using a timeline helps your stay focused and have a specific direction.
Some people think it is okay to ‘go with the flow’ and ‘let life decide your destiny’ but I totally disagree. I think that having a plan for every little thing gives you purpose and direction. I don’t want someone else or ‘the universe’ decide for me. I want to be at the steering wheel and have full control of my life.
By creating a timeline, you work towards achieving small goals that lead to bigger ones. You can anticipate challenges and setbacks but your focus is clear and ahead of you. Managing your time and energy around things that matter is beneficial to you and your achievements.
Steps to take:
- Be as specific as you possibly can with your end goal.
- Pick a date and time that you want your goal to be achieved by.
- Make a list of the steps you need to take in order to get there.
- Set SMART goals. Some goals have a linear progression of actions and achievements. For example, when you want to earn a specific degree; you have to acquire a set of skills to move on to the next level. Other goals are more cumulative, like losing weight. In this case, once you know what you need to do, you just repeat that until you reach your goal.
- Create a realistic timeline. Draw a line on a piece of paper and add the line points of reference. Each point should represent a mini-goal.
When you finish creating your timeline, you should immediately feel an immense desire to take action. You will feel a shift in your emotional state from being indecisive to becoming a success-hunter.
Here is a FREE printable to write down seven goals that you would like to achieve by the end of the year. You can print a copy for your spouse or child and do this together. This way you can see how each one of you can help the others in achieving their goals.
Click here to print your FREE copy!
Setting a timeline with your children
I believe in setting a good example for our children and this is something we can teach at a very young age. In the beginning, we discuss it with them and help them write their goals down (or even make drawing of their goals). Later on, they can use their own creativity and mindset to map out their timeline. It is a skill and it can be used for any type of goals; recreational, educational, fitness and many more.
Here is video for kids to introduce them to setting SMART goals!
I hope you found all this useful! I would love to read your comments about your experience in setting goals!